Who am I?

My photo
I have been living in Birmingham for the past 5 years and loving it! I have taught 1st Grade for the past 7 years and love it most days :) I am blessed to have a loving family, an awesome group of friends and two prescious dogs.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Weekly Wackiness

~Faith is refusal to panic

This week seems like a big blur in my mind, but I am going to try and focus to re-cap it for those who are interested....

My Grandmother had knee replacement surgery Wednesday and is doing as well as expected for an 83 year old. She should get out of the hospital tomorrow, but faces physical therapy that is going to be very trying on her. I ask all of you to keep her in your thoughts and prayers. My Father is having orthoscopic surgery on his knee Wednesday. For those of you that do no know, he had this same procedure done on the same knee about 8 years ago. There were major complications (blood clots, ICU, blood disease,etc.) and he was in the hospital for quite some time. The doctors are hoping to relieve some of his pain by doing the surgery again, but if it doesn't work--knee replacement for him as well! I am really nervous/anxious about the surgery and hope he comes out much better this time.

On to a lighter subject. Here is a funny story from school. One of my students came up to me and told me that his back was "crankin". I laughed and was like, "what do you mean?" The student responded, "you know Ms. Rodgers...it hurts real bad".

Exciting news--There is a website called DonorsChoose.org that allows teachers to post wish lists of things they want for their classroom that they cannot afford. I have posted things on there before, but have never gotten any donations. I received an email Friday night saying that a project of mine had been funded. I am receiving a huge carpet for my classroom that will allow each of the students to have their own spot--which is crucial to maintain the arguing.

Update on my 2010 resolutions:
I am still going to the gym and I am up to running almost 20+ minutes on the treadmill. I have also mastered the eliptical and the bike. Now maybe weights and work on my little skinny arms...
I have been attending Mountain Brook Community Church this past month. I have been going to early church and a Sunday school class. I am really enjoying it and have loved meeting new friends and reconnecting with old ones. I started a bible study Wednesday that is a Women's bible study that is going a book study on How to walk and Not Grow Weary. I like that fact that it is an all women group so I can be more open with my sharing. I am going to a group thing this next weekend in which we meet for dinner and play broomball (a version of hocky in which you get on the ice in your shoes) which should be very entertaining. Here's hoping I don't break anything.

TV I'm watching: The Bachelor (more for the giggles and craziness), American Idol (pants on the ground ppl), and just my old usuals. I am looking forward to the new show on ABC called The Deep End that premieres this week.

Songs I'm listening too: There is a new Timbaland/Justin Timberlake song called Carry Out that is pretty catchy, Half of my Heart by John Mayer/Taylor Swift, Everybody by Ingrid Michaelson, and Say When by The Fray are just a few of the newer one that I have been digging lately.

~Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close-knit family in another city.

2 comments:

  1. How did your father's surgery go?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Dad's surgery was good. He is home recovering now. He is still in a good deal of pain, but on pain pills :) The Dr. said that they cleaned it up really good, but had to go deeper than they thought. My mom got him a walker to get around on. My Grandmother has been moved into the nursing home in my hometown until she can get well enought to go home.
    Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete